I’m always looking for new recipes to try when it comes to eating clean. I feel like I have my staples of meals that I make on the regular, but it’s not to change it up to avoid eating the same thing over and over. I mean, there’s only so much grilled chicken a person can eat, right?! Some times the recipes I try are not worth making again, but more often than not, my family loves the new creation.
I was craving some tzatziki, but didn’t want to have to go out to our local Greek restaurant. I’ve never made my own tzatziki sauce before, so I was a bit nervous how it would turn out. I found a few recipes online and combined them to make my own tzatziki and we were all impressed! My husband said that it even tasted better than the Greek restaurant… Now that’s a compliment!
I’ve only ever had tzatziki sauce on a gyro or with chicken, so I was eager to try it on cod. Cod isn’t a very flavorful taste, so the tzatziki gave it a kick and complimented it well. I served the cod over a bed of spinach and it was the perfect meal. Very yummy indeed!
- 4 5-oz cod fillets
- 1/2 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 5 tbsp finely chopped English cucumber
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 5 handfuls of fresh spinach
- Olive oil mister
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl combine greek yogurt, English cucumber, fresh mint leaves, green onion, 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Put in refrigerator for at least an hour, even overnight.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
3.Put cod on baking sheet and season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Bake in oven for 20 minutes.
4. Heat skillet with olive oil mister and add 2 tsp of minced garlic. After 1 minute, add spinach. Cook on medium. Stir a few times to get the spinach coated with garlic. Spinach will be done in about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Put spinach on a plate and baked cod on top of it. Add the cucumber mint yogurt on top of cod or serve on the side.
I didn’t plan well and made the cucumber mint yogurt the same day. I put it in the freezer to get extra cold and it tasted really good! A few of the recipes I read said to leave it in the refrigerator overnight for the most flavor. If you are able to let it sit overnight, I’m sure the taste would be awesome. But if you’re not a planner like me, making it the day of works just fine too.
I hope you enjoy this meal of baked cod with cucumber mint yogurt and spinach as much as my family and I did. This meal will definitely be added to our rotation like the crockpot chicken tacos I made the other day in the future!